Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

Getting Married in Korea Pt.8 (cake)

My mother told me she would like there to be a wedding cake so I set out to find something other than the typical Korean fake cake for the ceremony.  The planner had one on their price list for 250,000 won, but I figured it would probably be very Korean and not very tasty.


I searched blogs and facebook groups for information about a real wedding cake, but didn't come up with much other than a woman who bakes cakes personally in her home for friends.  Then I just started searching for cupcakes since I know they have become much more popular in the last few years.  I found a store called Gigi's Cupcakes, which amazingly is an American chain.  We visited and tasted and few, but the girls working the counter didn't know anything about actually purchasing the cupcakes for a wedding.  So, we had to leave and call the owner later.  On our next visit, we met with the owner and came up with a plan.  We didn't think many of the older Korean relatives would even stay long after dinner and/or eat a whole cupcake.  We went with a top cutting cake, 30 regular size cupcakes and 5 dozen minis since they would be easier to just get a taste without eating a full one.  The owner himself came on the wedding day to set up the cupcake tower at our dinner reception area and that was included in the price of the cupcakes, around 200,000 won total.

Our cupcake tower looked beautiful and all of our guests enjoyed them much more than we had expected.  There were something like 5 left at the end!  (though I'm not sure we got the full amount of minis..looking at the pictures, it seems like less)  Also, we had ordered the wedding cake flavor, which, when we tasted it had a thick sugary icing, but the wedding day cupcakes had a whip cream icing instead.  Everything was going too well to complain and everyone ate them regardless.  I'm guessing that decision was made so that the cupcakes matched the cake..I just wish we would have been asked first.  Anyway, that aside, I highly recommend Gigi's if you're looking for a wedding cake alternative!



1 comment: