Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

안아고

Why are all of my updates food related lately?  Since being in Korea, I find myself eating a lot of things that I normally would not eat in America..and liking it.  For example, squid, both cooked and dried, among other random stuff that I don't actually know what it is. 

I tried 안아고 (anago=sea eel) in it's raw state for the first time.  I once saw some adjusshis frying up some live eel while it wriggled around on the grill.  I was pretty much mortified.  They also look totally sick in the fish tanks in front of restaurants...
I found this picture on the internets, but isn't it gross?
The only way I've ever previously eaten eel is cooked and in a sushi roll with that delicious black sauce.  I don't think you can actually taste the eel at all.  Anyway, it was actually pretty good..minus the weird bones that were in them.  We got it all chopped up and ate it with 쌍추 (big lettuce leaves) like you do with Korean barbecue.  

Here is what it looked like:
of course with some regular sushi too just in case the eel wasn't good!

No comments:

Post a Comment