Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Five minutes

There a site called Reverb 10 that gives bloggers prompts for every day this month to reflect on the year 2010. Here's the one for December 15 (even though it's already December 16 here): "5 Minutes Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010. (Author: Patti Digh)"

I'll admit that I've been thinking about this for well over 5 minutes. I've actually been sitting here trying to remember everything that happened this year and what really stands out. The problem is that I've always been more of a visual creature so when I try to conjure up these memories, I picture certain days or feelings I may have had. Most of the things I most want to remember about 2010 involve events or random moments in time that I can't really put into words.


We'll start with the day I finally saw the (1) in my gmail inbox that I'd been waiting for for a solid 2 months. I was finally accepted to EPIK-Seoul, and I emailed all my closest friends and family telling them the good news. It was something that I was beginning to think wasn't actually going to happen after all the questions and uncertainty leading up to it. I was ecstatic and relieved.

I also want to remember perfect Dewey Beach and Seacrets weekends, Sunday fundays and Plaza dates with my roommates, and the massive amounts of snow on the ground. If I could capture feelings, I would want to remember how I felt: when I put in my 2-weeks notice at work/ in the days leading up to departure/ saying goodbye to family and friends/ sitting on the plane having a minor panic attack/ and finally when I landed in Korea and started soaking everything in.

In the months since I've been here, I want to remember the times sitting in the dorm room at Kyung Hee with Melissa and Tara, sunny, cool fall days walking around Seoul, swimming in the Sea of Japan, all the times I get stared directly at and spoken to in Korean, and my first time at Cocoon.

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful post. made me cry!
    i miss you so much!!!
    happy new year love xx

    ReplyDelete