Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Week 1

I've survived my first week in Korea!  I'm still at orientation until Wednesday, when we are finally being taken to our district offices and apartments and unleashed to live on our own in Seoul.  It's kind of scary since we have been pretty isolated here, surrounded by English speaking peers.  The only thing I know so far is that I will be teaching elementary school..which is supposedly 4-6th grades but could also be 3rd.  The orientation schedule has been pretty serious with lectures all day, every day.  Although, I'm not entirely confident about my teaching skills, we will see what happens once I get to school.  All the lecturers seem to have contradicting things to say which basically means it will all depend on your school/co-teachers/principal/budget etc.  

Even with the packed schedule, we've managed to make it off campus a few times, and we took a field trip on Saturday to the Korean folk village in Yongin.  I would say it was a good time except for the fact that we were outside all day at a traditional village with no AC in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity.  In fact, this is what the weather has been like every day so far.  Everyone was soaked within 5 minutes of getting off the bus which was awesome.

Traditional meal at the folk village
Dip n dots after dinner
Wandering the streets around Yongin
Kyung Hee gate at night
We broke down and got pizza last night after Korean classes.  I'm trying to like the food, but I'm just plain hungry!  I like to call it the forced diet.  
Typical cafeteria food we've been getting..it's all a mystery.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sonya! Just got back from watching Eat.Pray.Love. and I thought of you. Caught up on your blogs and it sounds like your having an amazing time. You'll do fine in the classrooms it's not as hard as you think and good luck with the food. I know you are struggling with no boberry biscuits.
    Love always,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete