Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Yongmun

Last week, while walking to the gym, I was approached by 2 normal looking people (1 guy and 1 girl).  Usually, when people speak Korean to me (beyond stuff like..where are you from?), I just smile and say "sorry" so they understand that I speak English.  This is usually enough to make them run away.  However, these people continued to try to talk to me on the sidewalk for 10 minutes!

At first, they were just asking me if I am Korean, etc.  I wasn't sure what they were getting at.  Eventually, I realized they wanted me to "follow them" to some other place to hear something called the Yongmun.  They were all "yongmun" this and "yongmun" that.  It made absolutely no sense to me.  They were talking about my grandparents and how it was important for me to hear this "yongmun" as soon as possible.  I tried to nicely say I couldn't commit to making an appointment with them now OR later, but they kept trying to force me into it!  I finally just gave them my phone number and told them to send me a message later, and as we were parting, the guy told me not to mention the "yongmun" to anyone.  Hello, red flag.

As soon as I was out of earshot, I called Sungho to ask what this whole thing was about.  He couldn't really explain it to me, but the word I found in the dictionary basically translated to "cult."  He said he'd been approached by these people before and it's best to just ignore them.  It was probably something similar to scientology or something weird where they were gonna ask me for all my money and get me to start recruiting other people like they did to me.  The guy sent me a message asking to meet on Saturday which I didn't respond to and, luckily, I haven't heard anything since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment